As an experienced Death Doula and Death Educator in Elora, Ontario, Karry Sawatsky offers personal support for individuals and families. She offers guidance in planning as well as support leading up to death, at death and after.
Karry came to deathcare through experiencing the deaths of a few close people. She was left with an intuitive sense that there must be another way to do dying, death and bereavement than the current cultural model.
This led her to become a Death Doula and start Modern Deathcare. She is committed to educating the public about the end-of-life options and alternatives that are available and connecting people with resources. She is dedicated to reclaiming community-centred deathcare whereby families are empowered to enact their own end-of-life care if they choose. Karry believes in encouraging cultural reengagement in dying, death and bereavement and that death planning leads to a meaningful and transformational experience.
Upcoming & Past Events
- Tue., Feb. 02Elora Brewing CompanyFeb. 02, 7:00 p.m. – Feb. 19, 12:00 a.m.Elora Brewing Company, 107 Geddes St, Elora, ON N0B 1S0, CanadaReceive as many new seed packets as you send in to swap! Try new tomato varieties, get your hands on some hard to find heirloom seeds, try out some of your fellow gardeners' faves and buy fewer seeds this season. We're still a community even if we can't see one another in person!
- Thu., Jan. 23Victoria Park Seniors CentreJan. 23, 2020, 10:00 a.m.Victoria Park Seniors Centre, 150 Albert St W, Fergus, ON N1M 1X2, CanadaPlanning in advance, before there is a need, allows you to think with clarity. Making decisions ahead of time and documenting them helps to make your wishes known. Learn what your options are in Ontario and how to plan while being supported with local resources.
- Sun., Nov. 03Kitchener MarketNov. 03, 2019, 11:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.Kitchener Market, 300 King St E, Kitchener, ON N2G 2L3, CanadaModern Deathcare is a vendor at this event. The goal of the Life and Death Expo is to help local community members make informed decisions about matters related to the seasons of life. There will be information on established resources, emerging trends and less familiar options.
- Sat., Oct. 19Elora Centre For The ArtsOct. 19, 2019, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.Elora Centre For The Arts, 75 Melville St, Elora, ON N0B 1S0, CanadaThe mission of the Modern Deathcare Expo is to empower individuals in enacting family-led deathcare, to educate the public about the many end-of-life options available in Ontario and to assist with death planning well before there is a need.
- Sat., Oct. 19Elora Centre For The Arts
Virtual Memorials and Celebrations of Life
Contact for more information.
Death Doula Consultation/Coaching
Currently offering remote sessions held over Zoom or by phone.
Please use the contact form below for further information.
Dear one supporting a dying person
Individual planning for end of life
Families seeking to have facilitated conversations
Death doulas seeking mentorship
“I am so grateful Karry was there for [my sister-in-law] and our family at the end of her life. She was so caring and compassionate. She was always there when needed. I appreciate all that she did from just sitting and talking to [my sister-in-law] to helping with everything from making coffee to the funeral logistics. She had the ability to talk to everyone and knew what to say. I will forever be grateful for her help.”
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
“We’re all just walking each other home.”